Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Getting the focus off of me!

So I've been praying a lot lately--well, pleading is more like it. I mean the "throwing myself before the throne" kind of praying. It really hasn't been for me. It's for the stress that my sweet husband is going through right now, but I'm not going to go into that.

No, today has given me a whole new reason to pray. It's not that our situation isn't important. And I'm pretty sure that it's still right up there ranked #1 in Jon's mind because he hasn't said but about three words since he's been home. (And that's pretty few even for him!) :) But Jesus has given me a peace about our situation--no matter what happens, he has ordained it and will see us through.

But today other events have shadowed over thoughts of our problems. There are rampant wildfires here in Naples--just a few miles from us. There is 1500 acre fire burning that has tripled from this morning because of the winds. The winds are supposed to continue through tomorrow as well. Thankfully, the winds are blowing it in a different direction from us. But as it's doing that, there are 50+ homes with families who are in it's path. That number will more than likely grow. Another smaller fire north of here has already destroyed 4 homes, and there are 18 more in danger. The huge fire here is only 30% contained as of right now.

In other news, tornadoes are tearing up our country--all over the southeast, and all over towns and cities where we have friends and acquaintances. Two families that we know personally from college have been affected in the Chattanooga area. One's house was completely destroyed. They have five children. So thankful that none of them were home. God blessed them with the safety of their lives, but it doesn't make it any easier, I'm sure, that they've lost every material thing that they own. Another family that owns a Bed and Breakfast was hit badly as well. From what I understand, there was much damage done to their home and business.

And then there are all of those that we haven't heard from or ones that were hit that we don't know. They all have lives as well. There are some who have lost everything--humanly speaking. And it drives me to get out of my selfish thoughts and focus on them.

So I pray tonight that God would grant them peace--the peace that passes all understanding. I pray that he would use these tornadoes to bring his children closer to him, and that people would seek him out in their devastation. Isn't that when we usually seek him? Isn't that what it sometimes takes? I'm ashamed to admit that's what it takes for me a lot of the time. Sure, I give him the compensatory prayers. I try really hard to read my Bible and teach my children about him on a daily basis. We talk about him a lot, and we even sing praises and memorize scripture and all those good things. And they are good things. But do I do it with a heart that truly longs for him? Do I pray earnestly on a consistent basis? If I'm honest, I have to say "no."

So right now, God's got my attention. He's got my prayers and my thoughts. He's consuming me....

.....hmmmm, isn't that the point?

No comments:

Post a Comment