Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Thursday, April 14, 2011

The most important things

I haven't made many posts about homeschooling. This isn't because I don't think it's important or don't have anything to say about it, but mostly because it's been my experience that when I talk about the fact that I homeschool--someone seems to feel judged. I really try to not sound holier than thou because I really don't think that!! I feel that God has called our family to homeschool so of course I talk positively about it. I don't get offended when others talk of Christian school or public school as good for their families so please don't feel offended when I share about one of the most important parts of our life!

That being said, I've been thinking a lot about the most important things I teach my kids. After our experience with Classical Conversations this year, I was left feeling a little less than adequate as a homeschooling mom. I sat in my six year old's class with other five and six year olds who could skip count their 7's, 8's and 9's. Mine can only go as high as doing her 3's. Six year olds could sing every history sentence back from the beginning of the year, and one even stood in the opening with his seven year old sister and quoted the entire 168 card timeline series from "Creation" to present day. Talk about wanting to crawl into a hole and hide. Each week her tutor told me how good she was at the presentations. Yes, she has a loud mouth and is not afraid to use it! :) At first this was enough, but after awhile it seemed this was the only thing she was good at! She loved the fine arts section when they used pencil and then painted. That was her favorite. Oh, and snack. She complained every week that they didn't eat snack soon enough during the day! So here it was when I went into her classroom, little six year olds spouting off what a "gerund" was, and mine sitting there asking when snack was coming!

In the middle kids' class, my daughter was thrilled to be there. My son, not so much. Anywhere that resembles a classroom is not where he wants to be!! He's smart enough--for sure. I don't worry about the two of them when it comes to academics. They are both very good readers and excel in Math. They are fast learners in everything so they are my easy-to-school kids! This makes it nice--especially since they are only 13 months apart, and I teach them everything together besides Math.

My oldest was in an all day classroom setting for the first time in his life. He's in "8th" grade. Even though it was just one day a week, it was rough on him. He didn't enjoy it. Everyone kept telling me how much he would love it so I held out a little bit of hope, but no, he held to his belief that school is for the birds.

After striking out with three out of four kids involved, I had to start wondering about myself. It certainly made me think it must be me. I mean, I will be the first to admit that we didn't work on it like we should at home. Sure, we listened to the CD in the car, and some weeks we did work on our timeline and look up some of the things they talked about. But all in all, I know I didn't do what I needed to do for my kids to be the kids who knew it all! But I kept asking myself, how could I? Every time we'd start, my three year old would have some sort of need (or just the need to be a pest!) Even if I tried while the baby was napping, that would mean his morning nap was used to do all of our "regular" schoolwork and then his afternoon nap was used for CC schoolwork. Nothing else ever would get done. But still.... other moms do it!

But looking at the facts realistically, the only other family who had a baby have a 4 year old and 6 year old as their other two--no older kids. My friend started the year there with a baby but stopped shortly after Christmas. We seem to have a lot in common when it comes to "school." Plus, there were only two other families with 3 year olds as well. I happened to have both--a baby and a 3 year old. I'm not making excuses. I'm just being realistic.

So I started to think about all these families who have it all together! It can get pretty intimidating out there in the real world. Homeschool moms always seem to be competing for who can make school the most fun; who has the most creative games, crafts, snacks, etc.; whose 2nd grade can read on a 7th grade level; whose children are lining up for the spelling and geography bee; who is involved in every co-op, homeschool group, and activity and still manages to have the smartest kids!! I'm telling ya, it can get exhausting trying to keep up--especially when it seems that you are the one who keeps having babies and lagging behind. I wrote a post once about "there is no Supermom" but, like I said, I'm just as guilty of comparing myself to "her."

But Sunday night as I watched my children proclaim the gospel through their words and songs, my heart started to change. I watched my nine year old, who had cried back in September the first time she stood up to do her presentation at CC and couldn't even make it through, stand in front of 150+ people and quote lots of memorized lines, remember when she was supposed to come in, and be one of the loudest singers in the choir. I watched my [almost] eight year old son, who can't stand to sit in a classroom and who cringes with fear at "impromtu" speaking, easily spout off his memorized parts, show promise of a true actor, sing his solo with ease and truly belt out every song that the choir sang for Jesus. I heard my six year old, with her sweet precious voice, lift up praises as she sang "Jesus, name above all names" for her Savior.

I stand in awe as my children's prayer life blows mine out of the water. They come to me and tell me of prayers that they have been praying that have now been answered. They are persistent in their pleadings to our Father. I am thrilled beyond measure to hear them lay their petitions and praises before the throne.

I sat teary eyed as my nine year old joined the church this past Sunday, knowing that the really important part had been done last week as she went before the elders and answered, with confidence, fifteen questions that most adults wouldn't be able to answer. I know she knew those things because her daddy and I asked them to her a couple of days before, and she didn't have a hesitation as she explained who her first parents were, why she was a sinner, what sin was, and why she needed a Savior. She knew those because she has grown up with a family at home and at church as well as grandparents who have taught her the important things!

I am often blown away by comments from my 14 year old, and have been since he was very young, teaching me even more about God and the world around us. He has such a great perspective sometimes, and he sees himself very clearly as a sinner in need of a Savior.

I watched yesterday as my eight year old son freely gave his 3 year old sister his balloon after her's popped (doing something that he had already warned her not to do.) I see him time after time put each of his sisters before himself as he learns to live sacrificially and selflessly. I don't claim to be the one who made him that way! He seeks his Savior.

I try to answer the hard questions from my six year old as she's trying to learn all about this world and the God who created it. She asks questions like "Mom, does God make wrecks happen?" and "Mom, why did God let Satan tempt Eve?" I hear her talk about heaven and the new world with excitement as she and her siblings discuss what they think it will be like! They want to ride on dinosaurs and lie down with lions.

And then I think, yes, these are the important things. They know their Jesus. They are learning to be servants. They have a long way to go--but they are getting there. They remember to pray for the people in Japan when I don't. They remember to do our catechisms at night when Jon and I don't. They remember that we need to do devotions when I don't. They are teaching me more than I could ever teach them, and they are playing a huge part in my sanctification.

As for academics, yes it's important. I'm not saying that at all! They are learning it--at their own speed. They are making it through the math and the spelling. They are learning history and writing (sort of.) I'm doing what I can to make sure they stay where they need to be, but sometimes life gets in the way. And they are learning how to deal with that life in a way that pleases Jesus. And I'm proud to claim them as my children!!

No comments:

Post a Comment