Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Monday, May 9, 2011

Reflecting on Mother's Day

I've been quiet on the blogging front lately. Maybe this is because my oldest loves to make fun of me for it! :) I really don't mind. I really enjoy his company and good natured ribbing. But, although I've thought about some blog ideas lately, I haven't sat to write anything. I think mostly because it's time consuming, and when I look around my house at how much there is to do I know that I have no business sitting down at the computer for anything other than a quick break!!

But I wanted to write today about something close to my heart--motherhood. I know I've written about this before, but since it's something that I live day in and day out, I think about it a lot. I had a great Mother's Day yesterday. My husband and kids made me breakfast in bed (not because it's the most comfortable thing in the world but because my kids love to do it and think I love it! :) And so I do love it for that reason!) They gave me a new Bible which I had been wanting. This was really special because I think it was actually the first time my husband paid attention to something that I had been talking about (without me even thinking about "hinting" that I wanted it for a specific holiday.) Then after church we went to lunch, and then we came home to the best present ever--the kids and Jon cleaned out my car. Ah, it's the best when he does it because he takes out all the seats as well and REALLY gets it clean! And this time he didn't even yell at me about how many chicken nuggets were stuck down in the far recesses of the floor! :) Then afterward we went to Jon's parents where he, his dad and brother all cooked and grilled for the moms. It was a great evening!

So, yes, I had a great Mother's Day. But so often I don't even like these holidays. Mother's Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. As women we sometimes have so many expectations. We've seen too many movies or read too many books or heard too many over embellished stories of romance, and our husbands just don't seem to be able to live up to those standards! I try to remember this each time one of these events rolls around, but even though I was trying to guard against this, I found the little green jealousy man creeping up a little when I read other moms' statuses of mani/pedis, massages, flowers, nights away, etc. on facebook. I really didn't want this to happen! But somewhere down inside my sinful heart, the questions start.... Why isn't my husband more romantic, sensitive, thoughtful, creative, and (if I'm being honest here...) rich? :) Yeah, that would help!!

Why do we do this to ourselves? We set up expectations that our loving husbands can't fulfill. These men who are going to work everyday, giving all of themselves for their wives and children, faithfully coming home every night to a less than perfect house (at least in my case) and maybe even doing their own laundry... yes, I'll admit, my husband has had to do a load or two of his own lately--never complaining, just doing it! Why should we really need more? I know I don't! This is the life I wanted. And my husband is exactly the man of my dreams that I had "picked" out for myself. I specifically remember a conversation with one of my best friends from college saying that I didn't want to marry anyone too "sensitive." I wanted a "manly man." Well, doesn't God deliver?? :) So I got exactly what I asked for--and now I'm going to complain about it?

I have amazing children who really want to please me. They like doing things to make me happy and bless me. This should be enough--a day in and day out blessing. I shouldn't need Mother's Day or any bells and whistles to fulfill me. Yes, it's nice to honor mothers. I'm not saying that! But wouldn't it be nice if we did it on a consistent basis instead of once a year? Wouldn't it be nice if we would "rise up and call [our mothers] blessed" more often? I know I should! But instead I send her card too late for her to even get it in time. How lame am I? How selfish and sinful? I feel deserving of so much, and yet I can't even get a card in the mail on time!! My mom deserves so much more! I love her beyond words, but I can't always get my act together. So why should I expect anything different from my own little ones or my hard-working husband?

So if you're feeling a little under appreciated after yesterday or just all together, take a look at your life. Count the blessings that you do have. Count each of those who call you "Mommy" or "Mom" or "Mama" or whatever. And know that you are blessed. If your husband comes home to you every night--even if he's too tired to strike up thoughtful conversations, thank him. Appreciate him. Tell him how much you love him because he sacrifices day in and day out for you! And remember that your reward is not here on earth. You are storing up your treasures in heaven "where moth and rust cannot destroy!" And oh how great your rewards will be--way better than any mani/pedi for Mother's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment