Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sewing lessons

The two older girls having been taking sewing lessons this fall. I couldn't afford to pay someone so I asked an older lady in our church who loves to sew if she would just help them out. I thought it would be good to foster that relationship whether they sewed or not! :) #4 was the one who initiated the whole thing. She's very domestic and loves to cook and clean. She wanted to learn to sew. Well, she's only going to be 6 in January so I quickly realized after one lesson that what she really needs is a mom who sews so that she can run in and out and work at her own pace in her own time, but sadly, she doesn't have that!! So she's soaking up what she can. Now, my older daughter who is 8 1/2 is doing great. She sits and listens and really likes it. They are both doing great on their own levels, and they really enjoy it. I think the lady really enjoys it as well since she gets to spend time with young ones! She is Dutch, and today I had her share her countries' tradition of "Cinder Claus" (their Santa Claus.) It was really interesting. My girls decided that our Santa was better because her Cinder Claus had a "Black Pete" that always came with him and if boys and girls were bad that year--they didn't just get coal in their stocking--he TOOK them away in his bag for the year!! :) Ha!


2 comments:

  1. Aunt Holly is so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my little one needs Aunt Holly around to work at her own pace!! :) I know that twice a month isn't enough--but it's all I can get right now. I'm thinking we may get a sewing machine this year for them to practice more at home.

    ReplyDelete