Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The five most dreaded words....

"You have your hands full!"

It doesn't matter where I am or how the kids are acting. I could be strolling along the beach with the kids happily playing with no troubles at all, or I could be pushing a buggy through Target with a flailing three year old strapped in the seat, a crazy five year old running through the aisles and any of the others demanding a treat or acting completely indignant about not getting it. I will undoubtably hear these words on every single outing that I'm on--"You have your hands full."

Now, it's easier when the kids are being well behaved and angelic to answer back with "Yes, they are full of blessings." That's a bit harder when my children are acting like anything but! It doesn't make it less true--just a little less believable for the nosey on-lookers who have commented. And yet, it is exactly the truth!! I couldn't be more full of blessings! Biblically, every time God wanted to bless a family or even a whole nation--he promised to bless them with children. He tells us in Psalm 127 that "Children are a heritage from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward..... blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them."

The world certainly does not understand this, nor do they see it even from our perspective. Children are seen as an annoyance. Yes, it's nice to have one or two around, but after that it's too much trouble. After that it's a little too hard to find time for yourself or take a vacation. Try finding airplane tickets for a family of eight!!

I know that many people don't mean to be offensive when this dreaded statement come out of their mouth. It's almost like they can't think of anything else to say and feel the need to say something! What I think is pretty humorous is when someone says this to me when I only have two or three kids with me. I always feel the need to quickly tell people that this is not all of them--I have six in total. I love to watch their faces. Hearing their comments is not always pleasant, but that's okay too. It is the way of our culture. And the church has bought into it hook, line and sinker.

Okay, I won't go there....not today anyway! ;)

But, yes, my hands are VERY FULL of precious blessings! And I wouldn't have it other way!


2 comments:

  1. You DO have your hands full;) Don't forget the goats, cats ect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you! I find women always say "You've got your hands full" but men say "I'd hate to see your grocery bill when they are teenagers." And when I only have two with me and people comment, I alway tell them too, I have five boys total--that really shocks them.

    ReplyDelete