Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Letting the little ones fall through the cracks

Do you find that you do this? Sadly, I was convicted of this yesterday!

Here we are, a homeschooling family, trying to bring our children up to know and love the Lord. He's in our everyday conversation. We live our lives focusing on seeing things through His eyes. I try to bring his perspective into every situation. And yet, as we were driving around yesterday, all #5 wanted to sing was Jingle Bells. I tried and tried to get her to sing something focused on Jesus. All the other kids were happy to sing Away in a Manger or Joy to the World. But #5 kept insisting on Jingle Bells. Finally, I asked her, "Sweetheart, don't you know that Christmas is about Jesus? We should sing songs to praise Him." Her answer was, "No!" I asked who's birthday it was at Christmas. (I know she knows the answer to this.) And she didn't answer--just said, "No!"

I thought about #1 when he was 3 years old. He knew every answer to every question about the nativity. He could tell you the Christmas story with no problem. We discussed really theological things on a daily basis. He was my only one at the time, and I guess we had more time for that.

I've noticed it through the years as they've grown. With each child, there's less time to discuss our beliefs in deep conversation. And yet, this is the most important thing we can discuss!! Yes, we do our catechisms. We memorize verses. We read Bible Stories and pray. We do the Jesse tree at Advent. We bring Jesus into everyday discussion. It always goes back to Him! But somehow they aren't getting it like #1 did. He still is the one who is the deep thinker about these things.

But maybe that's just it. Maybe it was him--that first child thing as well!! But I can tell you that this was a wake up call!! We're going to sit down today and talk about the nativity story. Maybe I've just assumed that she knew. I'm going to be way more focused and intentional with her and the rest of them this week--to make sure they really know what Christmas is all about

.....and that they are not falling through the cracks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment