Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Saturday, December 25, 2010

After the excitement...

Well, Christmas night is here. What a great Christmas it was. Christmas is always wonderful because of Jesus, but I have really loved this year! We didn't have much to spend this year. It's probably the least we've ever had to spend and the most kids to spend it on!! So we told them up front that there would be one present. They were all okay with that! Of course, they got plenty from grandparents and stuff that they loved, and it was very fun to see them open their gifts that they had been anticipating for so long. But because of not buying much this year, I was a whole lot happier! :) Things were way more laid back and relaxed during the whole season. I wasn't worried about "who had more presents" or "one more thing that I had to get." It was wonderful! It also gave me a lot more time to focus on Jesus and the gift that He was to us on that first Christmas.

My heart swells with gratefulness to our Lord for all he has given! I think about my amazing husband who is more than I could have ever known he would be 16 1/2 years ago when we said "I do." At 20 years old, how could I have known what I would need for the rest of my life? How could I have known what I was getting into? How could I have known how to be married at all? I definitely had great role models in my parents. I definitely had an easy, laid back husband to grow with me. But I give all the credit to God! He hand-picked this man for me before the foundation of the earth! And let me tell you, he couldn't have found a better match! :) I mean that with all my heart. There's no man on earth that is more suited for me or that fits me better. I'm convinced.

Then my mind drifts swiftly to my children--all six of them so vastly different! Yes, a couple of them have some of the same quirks and traits that they inherited honestly, but all with such unique personalities. To think that God designed them individually, made them exactly how HE wanted and then entrusted them to us to keep for Him is overwhelming. How could he love me THAT much to bless me THIS much??

I love teaching them about Jesus. I love talking about Him. I love that they are learning everyday more and more to see things through his eyes! I love to see a breakthrough in their hearts!! Yes, they all revert back (alot of the time!!) to their sinful, fleshy hearts, but don't I as well? My goal is to love them and parent them like my Heavenly father loves and parents me. He isn't quick or harsh with punishment. He's patient and kind. He lovingly shows me the error of my ways with gentle reminders and pricks to my conscience. Then his Holy Spirit gives me the ability to change those sinful ways. I want that for my children. Yes, they have the Holy Spirit as well, but God has also given them me to guide them. He's given them parents to show them the right way, lead them patiently and lovingly help them get back on the right path. How I long to be more like him.

So the season will soon be over. Christmas lights will come down. (My little ones are still exclaiming over them every time we are out at night just like they are brand new!) The Christmas music will stop in the stores, and there will once again be no allowance of Jesus to be mentioned in the public sector. But isn't it wonderful that no one can ever take him out of our hearts! "Thy word have I hid in my heart." Once it's hidden there, no one can take it. Thank you, Jesus! Thank you for becoming the Living Word--for putting on flesh, for humbly being born as a helpless baby to a lowly teenage mother and carpenter step father. Thank you for leaving your glory to make yourself known and understood to the least and lowliest shepherds! And thank you for making yourself known to me! I love you, my precious Redeemer.

Merry Christmas all! Count your blessings tonight and ponder them as we go into 2011. Who knows, this could be the year of our Lord's return?

1 comment:

  1. I loved this post. So much truth there. It's amazing to think how even under difficult circumstances, how much happier we can be when we have our focus in the right place; when our eyes are on Jesus and not on ourselves.

    ReplyDelete