Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Our adventures in the Keys Day 3--Thursday

Last night was even worse! Cedar nursed FOUR times during the night!! He is just miserable at night. He stayed in the bed with us after the second time he got up. He'd sleep for an hour or so and then just moan and be so pitiful until I nursed him again. At one point then, Cama-Jane came in to get me as well. Jon tried to go lay down with her, but she kept crying that she wanted me so in order to keep the rest of the kids asleep, I went. When I got back in our room, Cedar had been crying for me as well. Oh, at those times I truly long for my own bed and my own house!! The worst part is that all the floors are tile. At home I can just tell the kids that whomever wants to can sleep in our room, but sometimes somebody has to sleep on the floor. Sometimes the floor is covered with throws, blankets and pillows in the morning. But who cares? Everyone got to sleep, and everyone was happy. I can't make her sleep on a tile floor!! So we have two more nights!! Cedar is still coughing, but it's not croupy anymore so that's a good thing. He is just so snotty--just like Cama-Jane so both of them have noses just like faucets! I need to make it back to the health food store and get some pulsitilla. I didn't get any the other day because I have that at home and hated to spend more money, but I guess I'll use it sometime anyway.

So after I took Jon to work, we sat around after breakfast for awhile. I got Cedar down for a nap and tried to read some to the kids. They weren't really excited about it. I used to be able to read to Trand for hours, and he was totally still up for it today! Usually the other kids like it, but today they were ready to get to the pool. I let LH and Breck go over without me because there were other people there, and I knew they would watch each other. The pool is literally in our back yard. Jon couldn't believe I did that, but I told him I had six kids--one of whom needed naps and such--and one of me!! Later, Trand took the little girls over. What respite. I had about 45 minutes all to myself to pray, dry my hair, check facebook. It was great! Then he came back and said, "I thought you were coming!!" I didn't remember saying that, but whatever... :) I went over for a little while then brought them back. We ate lunch and walked over to the turtle hospital that's right next door to the resort. They didn't have anymore tours available for that day so we signed up for one tomorrow at 4 pm. Hoping that Jon is able to get off work a little early tomorrow to go with us. Shepley was very enthralled with the turtles and has added it to her list of what she wants to do when she grows up!! (along with being a mommy, chiropractor, dentist, pottery maker, dance teacher and artist.)

Then we got in the car drove to the Crane Museum of natural history. The boys were very excited, the girls not so much! LH and Shepley kept saying, "I don't like museums." I sat them down before we went in and said, "Listen, we are a homeschooling family. Get used to museums!" Half way through the time there, LH exclaimed, "This is so fun!!" Of course at the time she had my camera and was snapping shots of wildlife, but she was loving it and learning as well!!

All the kids had a really good time and each liked different things and learned a lot. I'm always amazed at how much Breck loves to learn and just soaks things in. Now, don't get me wrong, he doesn't get excited at home when I pull out the worksheets!! (But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do when you've got six kids!) But he just soaks in knowledge when he's living it or listening to someone. Trand had lots of fun exploring through the one mile trail through the woods and the two old, historic houses that were on it. One of them, built in 1904, had all sorts of information about Mr. Adderly who lived there and moved here from the Bahamas. He sold sponges from the ocean and made charcoal for a living. It told about how to do both of those things plus how he made the cement to build the house. Trand was excited to read and learn about those things. He is all about learning how to survive off the land. He often laments that he was born in this day and age and wonders why he wasn't a frontiersman or pioneer during America's earlier years.

We finished our tour in about three hours. I let them roam and wander and spend lots of time at Crane point out at the ocean. Cedar fell asleep in his stroller thankfully, although I have no idea how since we strolled over bumpy, gravel roads the whole time! Cama-Jane didn't have the easiest of times keeping up. Oh, and Shepley added bee keeper to her growing list of occupations for herself as well. :) They had a hive there and made key lime honey so we bought some in the store. They also had a butterfly garden, and she has decided that butterflies are among her favorite things since going to the botanical gardens in Naples last week. So she had a wonderful time.

After I picked up Jon from work, we went to the restaurant here at the resort and left the kids with some pizza in the room. We left Cedar as well--which we usually don't do with just Trand babysitting, but we tried it. The kids called twice. Cedar wasn't happy. So I decided to go back before Jon got the bill, and as I was walking out, LH met me at the door with him!! :) She and I decided to go to the drug store and get a nasal aspirator and some diapers.

After we got back, we finally got the kids in bed, and Cedar is actually asleep right now. I should probably go get some before he starts his nightly routine again!! If you think about it, I could use some prayers over the night couple of nights!! Thanks! But the days have been great! The weather has been beautiful. Warm and breezy and, well..... paradise, actually!!

No comments:

Post a Comment