Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Two gluten free recipes

I thought I would share a couple of recipes that I use quite often. Whether you are living gluten free because of Celiac or intolerances, or if you just choose to live that way because it's a healthier lifestyle, these are two great recipes. The first is a yummy "dessert" smoothie. Usually I make my smoothies for the purpose of getting whole nutritious foods into my kids with fresh fruit, greens and vegetables. But sometimes I just really need a sweet snack--but I shouldn't be eating sugar with Cedar. Here's what I've come up with that's totally yummy, packed with protein, potassium and antioxidents, and gluten, dairy, yeast, and sugar free (except for the little amount of natural sugar in the banana.) The second is just a traditional white sauce that can be used in anything--chicken pot pie filling, used "alfredo" style with noodles, used to thicken soups, sauces and gravies, etc. Last night I just made the "filling" of chicken pot pie with chicken, white sauce, broccoli, carrots and mushrooms with no "pie" part! The kids love it!

Peanocolate Smoothie

1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 banana
heaping spoonful of peanut butter (more if you want!) :)
1 Tbsp. raw cocao powder
1 tsp. stevia (or sweetened to your taste)
handful of ice cubes

Put all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend away! So yummy and creamy and SWEET!! Which is what I tend to crave--and that's hard when you're on a no sugar diet!!

"Un"Traditional White Sauce


4 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. tapioca flour
2 Tbsp. sorghum flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups milk (you can use dairy, goat, almond, rice, coconut--whatever--or use a mixture!!)

Melt butter in a saucepan on stove. Add flour one Tbsp. at a time, whisking immediately to keep from clumping. After mixture is creamy add one cup of milk, whisking until creamy. Then add the second cup of milk. Turn burner very low and let simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes, whisking occasionally. Mixture will thicken with time. For thicker sauce add less milk. Also, this is enough sauce for my size family. You could easily half this recipe. You can also use any kind of flour. I have just found that this works really well. I have wanted to use millet but haven't done that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment