Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Monday, February 14, 2011

Family Valentine Dinner

Tonight we decided to do Valentine's Day together as a family. The kids never get to do "romantic" dinners so I did candles and everything for them. They even got to eat on real plates with the stemmed glasses! They usually get paper plates and plastic cups! :) The girls absolutely loved it, of course. They wanted to turn off every light in the house except the candles! The boys couldn't have cared less except that they didn't want all the lights off! We compromised with keeping the Living Room lights on! :) But that's okay. Maybe they'll remember someday that they had a mom who tried!! :) We did our traditional Valentine breakfast on Saturday because Sunday was too hard, and this morning was Classical Conversations so that was too early! I made heart shaped pancakes, and each child gets a little bag with chocolates at his/her place. This is a huge thing for them!! :) They treasure it. Except Cama-Jane got a little greedy and ate all of Shepley's bag!! Poor Shepley! I forgot to take pictures that morning, but I took some tonight.

My Daddy bought me a dozen roses which were the perfect centerpiece for our Valentine dinner. I have the best Daddy of all, and I am so blessed by him.

So here's to love. Here's to having a special day each year set aside to celebrate that love. Here's to Valentine's Day--a totally commercial Hallmark holiday that actually drives me crazy with it's "expectations" that are never met. But I do these things because my kids love traditions, and I love to make memories for them! My sweet husband isn't really into Hallmark holidays either, and that's okay. I know he loves me on every day of the year!



No comments:

Post a Comment