Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Living in the lap of chaos

I know the saying goes "living in the lap of luxury," but I wouldn't know anything about that! I do, however, know a lot about living in the lap of chaos!! This makes me sad because I know (and I hear all so often) that God is a God of order so we should be as well. I have no doubt that this phrase was coined by a very organized, orderly woman who's proverbial "ducks" are always in a row! We creative, spontaneous, hair-brained type don't really stand a chance, do we? Now, I don't disagree that God is a God of order. He orderly organized all of creation, and it runs as such. I just think it would be nice for someone sometime to come up with a nice little saying about God's creative, fun-filled nature for those of us so blessed!

Right now I wouldn't be able to survive if I had to live an organized, orderly life.  First of all, we are so in limbo about Jon's job.  Is he going to be moved across the country, across the state or stay right here? When he got this job (which has been one of our greatest blessings) he was told that he would be transferred from controller to CFO in about 18 months to 3 years. Well, the economy tanked and nothing was as expected. For a long time there, there didn't seem to be any CFO openings because no one was switching jobs! But lately, things have picked up again. He will have been at his job for three years this March. So he's getting antsy. Jon is a man of purpose. He is driven by God's mandate that men be hard workers and provide for their families. He's ready for the next step. I know he's ready. He knows he's ready. His boss knows he's ready. But for now, we wait. It's obviously not God's time for anything to happen right now because as much as Jon has tried to get things happening, something keeps getting in the way! :) But as we wait for things to happen at work, I sit in limbo at home.

I decided to just go ahead and do what I wanted to do with the house and not worry about it. Even if we end up moving soon, it will force me now to clean out and organize which will make it easier to get ready to show. So we are moving my oldest upstairs to the bonus room (which was the playroom), making his old room the schoolroom, and making the schoolroom a play area with just a few toys for the little ones to be entertained while I'm in the kitchen--since it's right next to it. So..... this leaves us with lots of chaos right now. Jon has been painting for awhile now, but poor thing, he can only paint basically on Sundays. He has to work during the week, and then pick up kids or do other stuff with us during the evenings. Then he works for his parents on Saturdays. So no day of rest for him. I'm not sure how that jives with "keeping the Sabbath holy" but if he just rested on Sunday, nothing would ever get done at home!! So he's been painting on Sundays. And he wants to get each room painted before we move stuff into it. So stuff is everywhere. (Along with the laundry!!) The house is an utter disaster. And I still hear my children asking, "Can I have a friend over?" Seriously???? How many times can I say "no" without being the "Wicked Witch of SWFL Mom"?

So I am living in the lap of chaos!! I feel so badly for Jon everyday when he comes home to a messy house once again. I feel like I have to take him and show him the little area that we made progress that day!! So I do, and I'm sure he's thinking, "that's all you did today?" Of course, it wasn't all I did. I taught school; made breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinner; refereed arguments; coerced children into doing their jobs; tried to keep the kitchen in working order; tried to fold at least one load of the laundry sitting around; nursed the baby; rocked the baby; carried the baby around when he got tired of not being carried around; etc. And this is just when I am home!! Most days I've stuff that I have to do out of the house as well, of course.

I'm not complaining--even if it sounds like I am. I'm really not! I wouldn't trade this. I love being here with my children. I even love living in this chaos (sometimes!) But it would be nice to have about three days alone to get it all taken care of here at the house!! But that's not going to happen anytime soon so I'll just continue to let it drag out and it will take a month. Maybe we'll be done just about the time we find out we're moving far away. Who knows?? Oh yeah, God knows. That's why I can relax and not be stressed. That's why I can continue to live my life, love on my kids, and support my hard-working hubby. Because I know that my future is in his hands. It's been planned since before the foundation of the world. I serve a mighty God who cares about the intimate details of my life--even my chaotic life--while he's also running the rest of the world and all the "big" stuff out there! He can do it all, and since I can't I am very thankful for that!

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow Mother of many, it is the hardest job in the world to me a Mother to so many souls! You have an incredible job, plus homeschooling them all. I will be praying daily for you and your chaotic day. God is in the business to help, and he must think you can handle it ;) But it is frustrating ( and with a new baby )wow!
    I know it will get better. When you look at those faces, all that matters is that heaven awaits them one day......The clutter will be long gone... :) Hang in there! :) Char

    ReplyDelete