Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Craving cherries

I've been craving cherries lately! I'm talking about REAL cherries here--not the kind in a jar that you put on ice cream sundaes! :) I buy two bags a week and usually end up eating them within just a couple of days of going! I decided to look up the health benefits of cherries, and here's what I found. I also know from my chiropractor that they are a good liver cleanser. I'm sure there are many other benefits, but I thought these were worth posting. We always "hear" how good stuff is for us, but it's nice to know what it actually can do for our bodies. So I thought I would share just in case you are have a craving for cherries as well!!
  • Help prevent and fight cancer Cherries are a rich source of healthy antioxidants, which help to repair damaged cells in the body. They containqueritrin, a potent anticancer agent. They also contain ellagic acid, which experts believe is one of the most useful compounds for cancer prevention. Another compound found in cherries is perillyl alcohol (POH), effective in reducing the occurrence of all types of cancer; it stops the spread of cancerous cells by depriving them of the crucial proteins they require in order to grow.
  • Act as an anti-inflammatory. Cherries can help with pain relief; they contain anthocyanin andbioflavonoids, which are compounds that produce a similar effect to that of aspirin or ibuprofen. These compounds can relieve or prevent head and body aches, and even ease the symptoms of arthritis and gout.
  • Improve the body’s Circadian Rhythms. A natural sleep aid, melatonin is abundant in cherries. This antioxidant helps to regulate your sleeping and waking pattern, and since it is found in small quantities in the human body, the dose in cherries can work wonders.
  • Fight against premature aging. The compoundsisoqueritrin and queritrin work to eliminate the byproducts of oxidative stress, and thereby slow the aging process.
  • Serve as a healthy snack. Cherries are tasty and nutritious: one cup, approximately 21 cherries, contains no fat, about 90 calories, no sodium, and no cholesterol. They’re also a great source of fiber, potassium (270 mg. per serving, to be exact!) and vitamin C.

9 comments:

  1. I eat frozen cherries every day. I crave them like crazy,too. I also crave olives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do I do when the season Runs Out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so confused by the craving. I hate all cherry flavored food, not a fan of machino cherries, and even weirder I don't like cherries in anything. Bit the moment I see whole cherries my mouth goes 'mine' and they disappear faster than anything in the house. I feel like a crazy person

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always craving them and when I get them I can't seem to stop eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though i am pregnant I can't believe I ate a whole bag in less than 24 hrs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so hungry for cherries all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hated them my whole life, but now crave them monthly around my cycle. Guess I'll have to eat dark chocolate covered cherries every month. Poor me. ☺️

    ReplyDelete