Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Homeschool Convention--the most exciting weekend of the year!

Okay, so some of you may think that's a bit of a dramatic statement--"the most exciting weekend of the year"?? But I think it's so true!! I started thinking about it, and this is the first time we've been in SIX years!! We haven't been since sweet Shepley was in my arms as a 5 month old, and we carted her around sort of like we carted sweet Cedar around this past weekend!! Of course, a little different in that he was crawling/toddling everywhere that he could and entertaining anyone who would pay attention to him (which, of course, at a homeschooling convention, was a lot of people!!)

There are so many things that are great about the Homeschooling convention. Here in FL, we have one of the largest in the country. Thousands and thousands of people pack the Gaylord Palms Hotel in Orlando. People from all over FL, from every walk of life. Some of them with plenty of money to spend on any curriculum or book that catches their eye, go to the most expensive restaurants with the whole family, shop at the hotel shops, and not bat an eye about it. Other families have saved all year to bring just enough cash to buy exactly what they need, pack their lunches to eat between seminars, and are just so thankful that the hotel gives us such a great discounted price to stay at such a beautiful place for a couple of days. For a lot of these families, this is their vacation every year. I noticed such a stark difference yesterday standing in front of the windows looking out over the pool. There were kids from two sets of families standing side by side. In one family, there were about 6 or 7 kids, girls in long blue jean skirts and plaid shirts with long hair and no make up; and boys dressed neatly but plainly with very short hair. Right next to them were three teenagers (I don't know if they were in the same family or not)--two boys and a girl--each with black shaggy hair (all about the same length), sunglasses, long baggy shorts (complete with chains), skull t-shirts, etc. (You get my drift.) The point being that the kids and families are all so different in many ways....

....BUT we are all so alike in so many ways that really count!! It's so refreshing to take your baby into a place with thousands of people and know that he will be welcomed with a smile, a friendly word and even a helpful hand. It's so refreshing to see--everywhere you go--teenagers hanging out with little brothers and sisters, loving them, taking care of them for the weekend. It's wonderful to be with so many people who understand what you're talking about when you say "quiverful" and even better than most of them agree with you about it!! It's amazing to hear other moms struggling with the same thing you are and to be able to ask questions and talk to people who don't just think the answer is 'putting your children in school.'

I love hearing about all the great things the youth around America are doing today--how they are learning to change the world (starting right here in our own country!!) I leave there filled with hope for our future. I leave there knowing that God is working, and that he is using me in a big way to fulfill that work. I feel validated as a mom and teacher to my children--knowing that being a mother is the most important job in the world!! I mean that with all my heart. I know it in my head every day of the year!! But sometimes my heart forgets, and it's good to be reminded.

It's good to be reminded that it's not all about academics and the right curriculum. It's okay if I haven't quite figured out my six year old's best learning style yet--it hasn't all gone to pot because she's going into First grade not reading!! The best education they are getting is the character that is getting built--the life lessons they are learning to be able to contribute mightily to society. I'm training my children, not just to be good employees or factory workers or to get a government job. If that's what they choose to do, that's fine. But I can't imagine that any of mine will. No, they dream higher than that, and I will not hold them back by squelching their creativity because we have spent too much time doing the "academics" that the world thinks are so important. I want my children to be able to spend the time they need doing what they love and developing God given talents in order to fulfill his calling for them in this life. I want them to dream big and know that as parents, we are behind them 100% and will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

I know that all parents feel this way. I'm not saying that because I homeschool that I have more love for my kids or loftier dreams. I'm not saying that any parent sits and thinks, "Wow, I really hope my kid gets a factory job one day." I don't think for one minute that I have any monopoly on raising my kids any better than other fellow loving parents! One thing, though, that I know I do have on my side is the ability to pick and choose what my kids spend the majority of their time doing. And I find it very appealing to be able to allow my children to explore their interests and create their masterpieces and use every part of their being figuring out God's purpose for their lives--even at this young age.

I'm thankful for this freedom and the freedom it gives my children to live the life to which they are led by their Savior. And I'm thankful for the one weekend a year that reminds me that this is why we have chosen this tough job of homeschooling. It's all worth it!! And I'm so excited for the day I get to see just what God has in store for each of my blessings!!

1 comment: