Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Friday, May 20, 2011

Seriously, I'm falling apart

Okay, 37 must be the magic age for me!! I used to look at myself in the mirror and really search for wrinkles and be happy (okay, I'll admit it.... more like "proud") that I couldn't find any. I would ask Jon if he saw any. Of course, we all know what his answer was!! :) But I was pretty happy with my skin. I've never been one to use a lot of products or much make up at all for that matter so I haven't done too much to keep my youthful skin! I just attributed it to good genes that I acquired from my Grandma Shepley. I always knew, though, that I would start showing the signs of aging way before her because her face never saw the sun. And mine, well let's just say I've had my share of sun!!

So it's not just my face. Every time I look in the mirror I see a lovely new sign of aging. You know, losing weight might be nice, but it seems as if when you get older, your skin doesn't remember how it was supposed to go back! I hear it loses something called elasticity. I should say so!! Seriously, my thighs look like the way my mom's looked way back when I used to be a little girl. (Sorry, Mama) The first time I noticed them I couple of months ago, I just stood and stared at them in the mirror like, "There's no way those could be my legs!!" I mean, there's something to be said about fat. It may not be pretty in and of itself, but it sure does help plump out all the wrinkles, creases and lines that seem to be creeping up all over my body. Instead, there's just nice skin losing the battle to gravity!! My husband tells me that it's not bad enough to notice in a bathing suit (yet) and that I'm the only one thinking that--but of course, what is he supposed to say??

So then I noticed my arms about a month ago. Yeah, lots of nice flabby skin there as well. I bought one of those shake weights about 4 months ago. Haven't used it yet, but I'm sure it's doing a lot of good for me as I move it from one place in my house to another! I also have one of those stretchy band things. I did use that the other day for two days in a row!! But that was last week, I think, and it hasn't happened again. I'm determined, though, to use it. I've been told that you can shape these things back up. I'm really hoping that's true. I'm still wondering about the skin though. Someone needs to invent an exercise for that (not like I'd ever engage in it though so why am I wanting that??)

Just last week I turned my head and caught a glimpse of some saggy skin under my neck!!! Once again, it was like deja vu, flashback of my mom!! (Sorry again, Mama) What happens here, people?? I'm really starting to understand the reasoning of a little plastic surgery!! I used to wonder why in the world anyone would alter their body. Just do your best to keep healthy and that should be enough. Well, now I'm thinking a little differently!! A little cut and snip and a small tuck here and there and maybe even a lift in a place or two wouldn't be such a bad idea!! This body could use a small makeover at this point. And this has all happened in the span of about 8 months because I promise it didn't look like this on my birthday in September!! And when I lost the weight after the last baby, my body didn't come back looking like this. So something happened. Something snapped--maybe it was the elastic!!

So is there somewhere to trade these bodies in for a newer, gravity defying model? I know I'm not supposed to be worried about this kind of stuff as I'm striving to be a godly wife and mother. My physical looks are not to be foremost on my thoughts, right?? But somehow the mirror doesn't know that, and it keeps reminding me over and over! It makes the fact that I'm going to be getting a new, perfect, ageless body in heaven one day so much more exciting!! I guess I'll have to wait for that body because this model seems to be losing the battle here, and from what I hear it's only going to get worse!!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm laughing so hard (sorry, because I do sympathize with what you are saying) - skinny or not, I can stretch the skin on my stomach out a MILE! But, when you started talking about flabby skin on your arms, I can only think of Lyndsey. She calls that skin "Bingo Wings" and you have GOT to get her to demonstrate older folks at the Bingo Parlor winning their card, holding their arms up and flapping them yelling "Biiingo! Biiiingo!" Also, remind me to tell you the first thing she said when we recently had "the talk" with her. (It had to do with the Bingo Wings!) ;)

    ReplyDelete