Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Monday, May 16, 2011

Gluten free breaded Grouper

I like to share gluten free meals sometimes when I find something that works for us and everyone likes. Tonight was one of those nights so I thought I would share. We were down at the park downtown for much of the afternoon. It was a beautiful, breezy 81 degrees here today--a much needed break from the low to mid 90's we've had lately. So the seven of us took a picnic to the park and had a nice day together. The playground was actually closed for painting over the next couple of weeks, but we ate, climbed trees, played shuffleboard and then played in the game room. So we were packing up to go home and thought about the fact that I had nothing planned for supper! I remembered the nice little fresh fish place that sells wild caught fish that they've caught that morning. My family (especially my oldest son) loves fish, but I don't cook it too often because I only want to cook wild caught. If you are not familiar with the dangers of farmed fish, please see here and here. Or just google it, and you'll get plenty of info! While wild caught is more expensive, I think after you've done a bit of research, you'll agree it's worth it!

So I went over the fish market and bought 1 1/2 lbs. of black grouper. Here's what I did with it. I didn't measure anything so I can't give any measurements, but I usually don't measure stuff so that's not unusual. I got my skillet ready with olive oil and a few squirts of lemon juice. In a bowl, I made a mixture of parmesan cheese, millet flour, thyme and oregano. I cut the fish into nice size fillets (because wild caught usually comes in bigger chunks--you'll need a good fillet knife) and coated them in the parmesan mixture. Then I placed them in the skillet. It took me two rounds to make all the fish. I try to only flip it once during the cooking time. Pan fry until flaky.

Along with the fish we had roasted red skinned potatoes roasted in olive oil, garlic salt, oregano and thyme. We also had chard sauteed with garlic and onions. I usually use fresh tomatoes and mushrooms in this saute, but I didn't have any. I thought I had some canned diced tomatoes, but I didn't so it ended up just the chard. I liked it, though, because the onions caramelized and it was yummy. The kids weren't as impressed, but they ate it. Cama-Jane loved it though because she slurped up every bit on her plate.

Each of the kids (except Liza-Hill, of course) had seconds of the fish and potatoes. Trand was very disappointed that everyone liked it so much because he was looking forward to eating everyone's share!

Yummy meal, healthy and gluten free!! Just my style!

No comments:

Post a Comment