Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Friday, May 10, 2013

Adoption: the beautiful and the ugly

Adoption is a beautiful thing. But it's also hard and messy. 

I had lunch with a friend on Monday, and I told her that very statement. I was talking about my own adoption experience. I wouldn't change for the world what happened in our lives to bring us to the decision to adopt. Adoption wasn't really on our radar before that. I know some people have felt led to adopt their whole lives. Even though I grew up next to a family that adopted two children, it was never something on my heart until I struggled with my own infertility. If you haven't read my story and care to, you can read about it in part one and part two of my struggle. I know that God brought us to adoption through our circumstances--no other way around it! And I'm so thankful that he did.

You see, Liza-Hill is amazing. She has blessed our family in countless way. She also is a blessing to most everyone else that she is around. She's energetic and silly. She's self confident and knows what she wants. She loves to make people happy, and she makes a friend everywhere she goes to prove it! She has no time for school because she's constantly FaceTiming her plethora of friends. And best of all, she has an amazing heart for Jesus, and if you ask her to pray for you, you can bet she will! Adoption has been a beautiful thing in our life. Everyday I see it. I see it in her smile, hear it in her laugh, watch it in action as she dances around a room. She shines light everywhere she goes. She is love incarnate!

So how is adoption hard and messy in our house? We have a pretty easy time of it. No language barriers, no cultural differences, no past to be reminded of or work through. But I'll tell you, as wonderful as Liza-Hill is, she is still human. She is still mean to her sisters sometimes. She is still disrespectful as times. She still does plenty of things that require discipline on our part as parents. And I'm telling you what, not one time of discipling her has ever happened that it didn't cross my mind,
"Is she going to hold this against me?"
Is she going to feel like this isn't my job? Is she going to think, "If I was with my birth mom, she wouldn't be doing this." Is she thinking, "She's only doing this because I'm adopted"? And dreading the day that everyone says is coming, the day that she looks me in the eyes and shouts, "You're not my REAL mom!"

Liza-Hill has been talking about finding her birth parents for years. I know she doesn't do this to hurt me. She has no idea how it turns the knife in my heart each time she says it. I know that my daughter is a people person. She would absolutely die if she couldn't be around people. So having that unknown about her birth parents in her life is a hard thing. I don't blame her, and it's not like I don't understand. I just know what's very likely going to happen from there.

I hear stories quite often of happy reunions--birth mothers and their biological children. I don't hear them as often about birth fathers, but I met Liza-Hill's birth father. I'm sure he's going to be just as excited to see her as she is him. She has his personality through and through. I hear of kids who were placed for adoption going on vacation with their birth mothers (and their family.) They spend time together at family reunions or other important events.  I always hear these stories in a wonderful, positive light. And to the people telling them, they are a wonderful thing.

But as I hear these stories, my throat closes a little, my eyes fight to hold back tears, and I paste on a happy *oh-that's-so-great* smile as that knife in my heart turns a little more. And I think, "What about the adoptive parents? Where are they in all of this? What about the years of love, sweat and tears they poured into raising this child?"

I'm trying to prepare myself for that day in my life. Even more than hearing the horrible, "You're not my REAL mom," I am dreading that day. That day when she turns 21 and begins her quest, that she will not end until her goal is met, to find the parents who gave her life, the ones who brought her into this world and into my arms. I know her. I know her inside and out. And I know that she will have to do this. I won't stop her. It's who she is. She will have to know them. She will have to seek out her blood sister as well, the one that her birth mom placed for adoption two years before she was born. She will do this because they are a part of her, and she needs them.

I would never deny them the blessing of knowing my sweet Liza-Hill. They made that unselfish choice to give her to me so many years ago, and I will be forever grateful. No, I would not try to keep her from them or them from her. She WILL make their lives better, happier, fuller.

It's times like these, when I get so overwhelmed with the thought of having to share her one day, that I have to remember that none of my children "belong" to me. They belong to Jesus. I have no idea what could happen to any of them even tomorrow. I trust in my Savior for the care of all of them, and I must do the same for Liza-Hill. I must share her one day. I know that.

My prayer is that while it will be exciting for her one day to meet her birth family, she will always remember my snuggles, my tickles, my back rubs, my songs, my silliness, my words, my time and my tears. That may be selfish of me, but I really don't care. :) She will always be mine even if I have to share her a little bit, and I pray for the grace to do that well.

2 comments:

  1. i read this yesterday from my phone and it's so hard to comment that i just didn't. but i couldn't get your post out of my head last night so i came back to your blog this morning. :)
    i am adopted...domestically, as an infant. i had a closed adoption (very little non-identifying information) until i was 29 and reunited with my birth mom. we are so very much alike...not just looks (i am a spitting image of her), but in personality and interests (we're both teachers, love history, and sewing).
    all that being said, she is not my mama. my mama--the one that is my best friend, who i talk to for hours a day (and see every day..yeah, i'm a mama's girl) is my adoptive mom. don't get me wrong, i love my birth mom with all my heart and she is so very very special to me, but she is not my mama.
    your daughter will feel that too...she may not express to you (i don't know if i've ever told my (adoptive) mom that, in fact), but she feels it.
    and i have never said, 'you're not my real mom!' so don't think all adopted kids do that either. :)
    i have an adopted son and we have what i like to call a "wide open adoption". see, not only am i adopted, but his birth mom is too. i love that his triad gets two parts that really "get it". she (and his birth dad who is great; they are not "together" though) are a huge part of our lives though they live 5 hours away. and i'm hoping that moseby just always know that he is loved and that we're ALL here if he needs us.
    also, i just wanted to let you know that i'm thinking and praying for your family since your loss. i've had a miscarriage and it's heart-breaking stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, thank you so much for your comment. It's a very validating thing to hear and see a happy story from all sides!! I have a niece who is adopted and it's a very open adoption as well. They seem to have a great relationship. It works very well for them. I'm so thankful that there are all sorts of ways to adopt these days that work for everyone--birth moms included!! Thanks for sharing your story!

      Delete