Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

People disappoint you

I'm gonna restate that title because I think it's worth restating: people disappoint you. This really shouldn't come as a surprise. We live in a fallen world. People are sinful. Selfishness abounds. We all are thoughtless at times. And yet, sometimes it does surprise us. There are certain people that we count on to support us, to love us, and to do the same for our children and families. There are people in our lives in whom we put our trust even though the ONLY one who we should ever put our complete trust in is Jesus. He's the only one who is capable, able and who loves us enough to never let us down. Still, we are disappointed when humans that we love hurt us or the people we love. My prayer is that I learn through it. I pray that I learn to be more sensitive. More thoughtful. More insightful. More discerning. And more focused on others' feelings around me.

"Do unto others what you would have them do to you."

The Golden Rule. Isn't this what we aim to teach our kids from the time they are old enough to yank that desirable toy out of their friend's hands? We teach them to treat other people the way they would like to be treated.

"Love your neighbor as yourself."

I know that's one that I am constantly repeating to my kids. Those closest neighbors are their own brothers and sisters. But it includes everyone around us.

I pray that I learn the things that I'm trying to teach my kids. I pray that they are learning them as well. And I pray that we will learn through the disappointments. I pray that we will learn quickly because the disappointments hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment