Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day, Birthmothers

Today is a special day for all moms. For those of us with young children still at home it's usually filled with handmade cards, hugs and kisses. And if you're like me, all afternoon your kids are running around at the beckoning of their father to get the house cleaned up for Mommy!! Maybe you got some flowers or a gift. Maybe you were greeted with breakfast in bed or just your favorite coffee. But in some way, your kids usually try to show you that they appreciate you. And I know we all look at them with misty eyes to know they are ours and to appreciate who they are growing into.
But I have one child with two mothers. And it's this second mother that I think about today. If you didn't know, our second child, Liza-Hill is adopted. I've written on here before how she celebrates that fact! She thinks it's wonderful that she was chosen TWICE--by us and by God!! I love this about her. 
So I think about her birthmother today. We don't have an open adoption so I don't have any idea what's going on in her life right now. I don't know if she has any other children filling her home today, making her cards and bringing her breakfast. I'm sure that even if she does, her thoughts travel to the one she gave to us. I'm sure thoughts of Liza-Hill fill her mind all day long. And I want to thank her. I want to thank her for the selfless choice she made to give her daughter a better life. I want to thank her for making our family more complete and blessed.  
Today I'd like to tell birthmothers everywhere "Happy Mother's Day!" To the ones who chose the hard road--to give life to precious souls when that wasn't the easy choice, to place them in homes with a different mommy and daddy who could better care for them. I know you will never forget. I know there will always be a place in your hearts for your birth child. And, like Liza-Hill's birthmom, you may not be able to see them grow up. I can't imagine how hard that must be. My favorite quote of motherhood is,

 "Being a mother means learning how to live with your heart forever walking outside of your body."

I can't imagine what it would be like not to even be able to see your heart walking! So to you, to those of you who made the hard journey, the hard choice, who took the hard road, thank you! Thank you a million times over for giving life to these precious children that we now call our own because of your sacrifice.
 To all the birthmothers, Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment