Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Changes

For months our life has seemed to be an endless series of unknowns. I haven't felt like I could make a decision about the future in almost a year now. Obviously, I've done it. I've tried as well as I could to live in the present and leave the uncertainty of our future to my heavenly Father. Because, after all, no one's future is ever certain. He is the only one who holds time in his hands. But most of us can plan to put our little girls in ballet for the fall or feel good about paying for another month of karate or take our children to try out for the holiday musical in town.... or whatever. Most years there hasn't been a question of whether I should enroll my children in a home school class that they wanted (or I wanted them) to take. But these uncertainties and more have been in the forefront of my mind now for many months.

I've been a bit cryptic in my posts (the few that I've written) this summer. I have talked more to my friends in person in the last few weeks than my sweet husband was really thrilled about. If it were up to him, he would just have me be as closed mouthed as he is about our personal life. But, thankfully, he knew before he married me that I was NOTHING like him when it came to "closing my mouth!" :) He knows I need to talk--actually spill my guts--to those close to me. And there are a lot that I consider close to me!! So in the last few weeks, most everyone that I know in Naples has become aware of the fact that Jon was interviewing for a CFO position in Knoxville, TN.

He's known about the position opening up for a few months now. The hospital system that he works for, HMA, is acquiring several hospitals in the Knoxville area. He told me the other day that he has felt called by God to go there from the time he heard about it. He's felt drawn there--to the mountains, to the trails, to the changing seasons. He's had trails along the Appalachians mapped out for months where he wants to take the boys for weekend outings. We've both wanted to get back to the "south" for quite some time now so this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

All we needed was for him to get through the interview and get chosen!! :) He knew he wanted to be there, felt called to be there, but it was up to God to work out the details if that's where he really wanted us. That's when it is so good to feel right in the middle of God's plan and sovereign work in our lives. As disappointed as we knew we would be if he didn't get the job, we had no doubt that we would be right where God wanted us. Jon consistently prayed that God would take us where he could use us, where we would bring him the most glory. Every time he prayed it, I knew he meant it, but I also knew that it was going to tear him up if he didn't get it. I trusted God's perfect will, but I braced myself for my husband's disappointment if it didn't happen. I knew I would need to be his anchor for awhile.

Although having six children has taught me much more patience than I had when I only had one child, long suffering has never been a huge strong point with me. So waiting has been an arduous task this summer. God has seemed to not want me to make any plans....just leave them all with him. So that's what I've done. I've waited.....and waited.....until Jon finally had the interview a couple of weeks ago.

Since then I've waited....and waited some more to hear the news!! We found out on Monday that Jon did get the job!! We are moving to Knoxville!! I haven't been able to tell anyone until tonight so I've been about to burst!!

Jon told the kids tonight so there is a huge range of emotions going on around here. :) They have prayed for weeks for daddy to get the "job." Even though they knew the job was in Knoxville, it was a little overwhelming to actually learn that we are really moving away from the only home they've ever known. They are excited about moving to the mountains--and about the possibility of SNOW, but their minds wander back to their precious friends that they are going to miss so much. They think of their grandparents here that they've always just been able to pop over and see or meet up with for Sunday lunch or whatever. They think of their brand new baby cousin due at the beginning of Oct. They've waited forever to live in the same town as a cousin, and now they still won't! They think of their church family and how loved and at home they feel there. It's hard stuff!

God is going to grow them. God is going to grow me. We are all going to grow through all of this. It's a daunting task to think about picking up and moving 8 people 14 hours away in a month!! But I know my God can do it. He's pretty awesome, and he shows me this time and time again!! I will miss my friends, my church, my family, my home schooling community, my chiropractor and my hair dresser!! You may laugh, but those last two things have been high on my priority list of people I'll miss!!!

So begins a new chapter of our lives. Here we are, moving to Tennessee. I'm happy that my husband is happy. I'm happy that he feels fulfilled in his role as our provider. And as always, I'm happy that I will always be with him--wherever he goes, whatever life brings us--we'll do it together.

We'll be leaving Naples a much bigger family than when we came 11 years ago. We came as a family of three longing for more children--wondering if we'd ever have any more. Yes, Naples has been a wonderful time of our lives. God has blessed us here in many ways, and I'm excited to see what the next chapter holds.

1 comment:

  1. We love you guys and you know we will miss you terribly. However, we are so happy for this opportunity for Jon and for your whole family. We will definitely be visiting you in the mountains!

    ReplyDelete