Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Monday, August 8, 2011

I don't remember it being like this....

We started back to school today!! I know there are some moms out there who jump for joy during this time of year. They are sending their kids off to school five days a week and enjoying their time alone, at work, doing their own thing, etc. I know there are also moms who send their kids to school who are sad at this time of year because they don't want to send them back. They miss their lazy summer days. I am also well aware that there are home school moms who love this time of year because they love schedules, organization, fun projects, etc. etc. I fit none of these molds!! :) I do not want to send my children off to school to be away from me everyday. I can't even imagine it!! But I love summers where we have no schedule, nothing going on, and we can just be together, spontaneous, fun!

The thought of scheduled days for the next nine months sends chills down my spine! I would much rather be the "unschooler" who just does school at the whims and interests of her children. I would love to sleep in and just have my children do some school through out the day, evening, or even 11 o'clock at night if they so chose. But I've tried it, and guess what?? It doesn't work for me! My kids don't go for it. I've never been able to figure out the secrets of moms with kids who love to do school. I've heard about them. I hear there are children out there who can't wait to do the fun, crafty projects that their moms have planned. Oh wait.... maybe that's why my kids aren't really excited about school. I'm not really into fun, crafty projects these days.

I used to be. I really was. I look back at stuff I did with Trand when he was in K and 1st grade. We had so much fun together doing long, time consuming, messy projects. And he remembers none of it--thanks a lot!! I know that's no reason not to do it. I know it builds relationships, gives an educational foundation, etc. But just the fact that he doesn't remember any of it really kind of makes me sad!! (and if I'm honest it makes me feel like it was a waste of time!)

But I've discovered there are times for schedules--like when you are schooling four children of all different ages and also have a 4 year old and 1 year old around as well! I know there are home schooling guru mega-moms out there who school like 47 children at the same time, but I'm having a hard enough time with four! To tell the truth, I only really spend a lot of time teaching 3 of them. My oldest is in 9th grade this year and does much of his stuff independent of me. Thankfully! But he doesn't need instruction in his school subjects as much as he needs a little "kick in the pants" to get it done. Sometimes that's a HUGE kick in the pants! And on some days, that can be my most difficult task. So I include him in my task of teaching four children!

Also, my kids work better on schedules. When I try to just do school throughout the day it doesn't work. If there's not a set time for it, I get lots of groans and moans and "I don't want to do this" and "I hate school" etc. etc. But when they see it on paper that they are supposed to do Math at 10:00, for some reason it's usually okay.

But not today..... well, not with Liza-Hill anyway. She was my hard one today. First of all, she is out of sorts if she is ever tired or hungry. She seemed to be both all day. Even though she ate breakfast, a snack and lunch, she continued to be hungry. She claimed to be tired as well. So tonight she is going to bed at 8:00--no excuses. Her normal bedtime is 8:30. I don't know if she'll fall asleep or not because she really is a night owl, but I'm hoping that after a few mornings of waking up early and going to bed on time, life will get back to normal for her. Today, though, she fought me on everything!

Thankfully, Breck was very easy today. That's usually the case, but he was extra happy about doing it and told me how much he liked history. He had a good attitude about everything actually so I guess maybe I do have one child who is "one of those kids." :) It's just hard to see sometimes when the others are giving me a hard time.

Today was Shepley's first day of first grade. She was very excited, and she had a great day. It's fun to see her learn. She's very animated about it and shows her excitement for learning new things. It's very rewarding to teach her.  And she's so proud of herself which is fun to see as well. I can't wait until she can tell Jon about her day today.

As for my little ones, Cama-Jane was pretty good today. She likes to sit right up under me all the time which she did a little today, but she was actually pretty good about letting us have a little time today. Cedar is fighting a summer cold (as is Cama-Jane) so he was fussier than usual. He didn't go down easily for his nap at all. I had to nurse him and lay with him on the bed then rock him in my arms and put him down asleep. I never have to do that anymore. But all that took about 30 minutes out of my schedule! And in that time, the kids had gone a little crazy. After a few weeks, they'll be easier to leave on their own to work, but the first day--forget it!

And Trand.... well, Trand doesn't have all of his school stuff here yet. He's got his history curriculum so he may be doing that non stop for this week. I'm excited about it, and I wish that I could do it. We ordered it from Vision Forum last year, and it's called The History of Christianity and Western Civilization. It's the history of the impact that Christianity has had on the world in the past 2000 years. It starts at Rome. There is a book, CDs and a video documentary. I think he'll really enjoy it. So today he did History and he read. I haven't been able to make him read too much all summer so now that it's "school" he will do it! :) He should get his online science class tomorrow. He'll be doing Physical Science with Catie Frates online classes. He's doing writing once HEED starts on the 23rd. And Math.... oh math..... every year it's the eternal thorn in our flesh! I still haven't decided exactly what's going to happen. I know. I've got to figure it out soon. But I don't have the money for a tutor/teacher, and I can't fight him hard enough on the math anymore. So I'm kind of in between a rock and a hard place. Still praying.... And I was planning on him doing spanish through Florida Virtual School, but I have to send in the letter from the county saying he is registered with them. I got that 9 years ago. Yeah, like I still have it! So I need to request another letter saying he is registered here so that I can go ahead with that.

Anyway, didn't mean to write a diatribe about my home schooling plans or anything. Just got on here to share that my first day wasn't ideal. But I'm fighting back. I'm not giving up, and I'm going to somehow, someway make schedules the norm around here!! And that's going to take more self discipline than child discipline! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment