Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Our Tennessee Garden!

For years I've wanted to plant a garden. There's always been a reason why not to! One of the biggest reasons was that we had chickens, and I had no way to keep them out of the garden. Another thing was soil, another thing was weeds in FL, another thing was it was TOO HOT, and then another thing was just plain "time!" I still have the "time" issue, but all the other ones are gone now so I figured this was the year. Plus, the people who lived here before us had a nice big 20'x20' garden all ready in the backyard for us!! So I couldn't let it go to waste. Now, we didn't do the whole 20'x20'. That was just too ambitious right now. So we did about 8'x20'. We'll see how we do with that before we spend more money on the rest!! :) But I thought I'd share some pictures of our fun and my helpers today. 
Getting the soil tilled took a lot of work. This was about the extent of Liza-Hill's help.

Cedar got in on the fun too!

Look quick. This is about the only time you'll see Breck!

15 year olds are very useful when tilling gardens!!

Getting it all wet and ready to plant after we added the compost.

Shepley loves to garden and help with the plants!

See this dog at the bottom of the picture? She's going to be a pain to keep out!! Once it was wet and cool, all she wanted to do was lie in it. She stepped on a few plants too!! AAAHHHH!!!

Planted tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, sweet peppers, zucchini, and pole beans. Plus we planted basil and thyme as well.

Adding some plant food. 



Cedar made things really easy!! And he had lots of fun dumping mud all down me as well.

Trand took these. So sad. Trand thought they were funny.

How sad. He's lying on the grass with compost on his hands shoved in his mouth. I was obviously not paying attention!! Gross!!

Cama-Jane with a wet ball of compost. Lovely!

Cama-Jane sporting her worm. I was pleasantly surprised at how many worms were in the garden!! Everywhere!! The soil is so great too!! I guess anything beats sandy FL soil!!

Finished product. Just planted the front. There are four rows of bean seeds planted on the left. 

1 comment:

  1. I am very impressed!!! I will pray you have no more freezing weather! Why am I not surprised that Liza-Hill was just an observer!!Looks like a great family project. Keeping Collier out will be a miracle!! Mama

    ReplyDelete