Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Friday, June 24, 2011

Rubs and Salves

I've started a new endeavor in my life. I'm always looking for something new (like I don't already have enough going on.) But I love finding alternatives to conventional medicine, and if I can make them myself--even better!! If I can help other people and make a little money in the process, well that's just about the best!! My idea to make these sprang from something I've been doing for years. Whenever my kids get a cold, cough or sore throat, I always have made an oil rub for their chest (and the bottom of their feet.) I don't like to use Vick's Vapor Rub because it's got a petroleum base (petroleum=gasoline=something I don't want rubbed into my children's skin.) So I found this essential oil concoction suggested in an herbal book about 6 or 7 years ago. It has worked like a charm for us. I've given the recipe to so many people, I can't even count. But the problem is that the initial investment into it is about $50. Now, of course you can use those oils for a really long time. But there are lots of people who don't want to spend that first $50 and would rather just reach for the Vicks! I don't blame them. I use essential oils a lot for lots of different things so for me, it's just another remedy. So I started thinking, *How could I bottle this stuff and help other people?*

You see, your skin readily absorbs anything it comes in contact with. I've read that anything you rub on your skin (lotions, make-up, sunscreen) hits your blood stream in about 27 seconds!! So it's really important that we make sure that we put good stuff on our skin. Most health and beauty products have mineral oil (which clogs pores and causes toxins to be trapped in your body), petroleum based products and parabens (preservatives which are known carcinogens.) When possible, I like to use organic products and ALWAYS read the labels for ingredients that I actually know what they are!! So for me, it's much easier just to make it myself. Then I don't have to worry about what's going on my family's skin. And it also WORKS!!! (Which is the most important thing, right??)

So I've been working on these for a little while now, and I'm ready to sell them. Here's just the first preview. I have diaper rash cream, cold/cough rub, eczema salve, and bites-n-stings salve for now. I'm planning to make sunscreen and burn salve in my next batch. I need to get some labels and a good logo. But they are ready to go right now!! I used the bites-n-stings salve on my daughter's friend who was here the other day. She got an ant bite outside, and we all know how those sting!! She came in and it was red, swollen and stinging. I put that on it, and she immediately said it felt better. :) I was so excited!! I knew it would. It's got the same stuff in it that I've used on my kids for years, and it's always worked!

So here are some pictures I've taken of my products:

Infusing the coconut oil with herbs to make my concoctions!

"Creamylicious" Fanny Cream

Cold/Cough Chest Rub

Eczema Salve (the bites-n-stings looks exactly the same as well.)


My products have Vitamin E for a preservative and have a shelf life of about 6-9 months (longer if stored in the refrigerator.) They can be shipped, but may need to be put in the refrigerator for a couple of hours after you receive them because of the summer heat. It won't change the way they work, but they are made with coconut oil which liquifies at temperatures above 77-80 degrees. Since they are not completely coconut oil but also have beeswax (and some have olive oil in them as well) I don't think they will really liquify, just get really soft. I need to work on a PayPal account as well and figure all that out because I'm not so great with all that right now!! But I know some people have asked me about them, and I wanted to let you know--they are ready!!

Prices as follows:
Creamylicious Fanny Cream $10
Cold-n-Cough Chest Rub $12
Bites-n-Stings Salve $12
Eczema Salve $12
Burns-n-Boo Boos $12


**For now, I've decided to work on the sunscreen a little more and figure a few things out before offering it. I want to make sure it's got good SPF and still as natural and organic as possible!**

2 comments:

  1. Yay! This is really neat, Jill! What a great way to share your products!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought of starting an etsy site? Seems like a pretty easy way to expand your customer base. I wish I had the bites stuff a few days ago. Apparently Lydia is allergic to Mosquitos... Not pretty.

    ReplyDelete