Striving to live authentically while pursuing holiness

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Perfect Mom

.....She lives across the street now. Yes, she does. I've had these moms in my life before but never in my face everyday! She would not be writing on her blog right now. No, her kids are home on spring break so she's spending every second with them. This is what she does. She one of those moms who is ALWAYS playing with her children. As soon as they get home from school, she's out playing soccer, baseball, playing legos inside, having them help in her garden....and the worst part is--she's got my kids over there wanting to do it too. They love her! She's perfect.

She never seems to think her kids are annoying. She seriously wants to spend every moment with them. She was telling me the other day that they are going to Disney in July and she has a scavenger hunt all planned out as a fun, creative way to tell them. As if going to Disney wasn't enough! She loves (at least that what she tells me) having my kids over--ALL THE TIME! And says, "Don't worry. I'll keep them out of your hair." REALLY? So you want to be with your kids all the time, but you think I'm such a bad mom that I don't? I really don't at all want you to feel like you need to keep my kids out of my hair! I chose this!!

And like I said, her children are constantly helping her plants flowers, weed her garden, etc. And my kids are right over there doing it with them. I've seen Liza-Hill over there plenty of times sitting right beside her, planting away, chatting it up. And that mom is perfectly happy with the company of a ten year old (who, honestly, sometimes can drive me a little batty with her incessant chatter!!)

It came to a head in my mind on Saturday. Jon and I were at Lowe's getting a new outdoor push broom. We left most of the kids home with Trand. When we drove up, all of them were helping across the street in the yard. I was going to do some planting as well so I went in to change my clothes. When I came out, she had all the kids in the back making water balloons and having the best time. I walked over to see if anyone wanted to help me with the flowers in our yard--no takers. I planted and cried. I did tell them that when it came time to weed the vegetable garden in the back (getting it ready for planting in a couple of weeks) that they all needed to come. They did--grudgingly. One of the boys across the street came too. His mom made him since my kids helped weed her garden so well.

I keep thinking, how does she have all this time to do these things? I mean, when my kids are playing outside, I need to be doing things inside--cleaning the house, laundry, preparing meals, planning lessons. The list is never ending and never seems to get accomplished! I've never been in her house. Maybe it's a wreck. Or maybe she's just as perfect at getting her kids to help with that in the few spare moments that they are inside. And you would think, "Oh, she can do those things when her kids are at school." That's what I used to think too. Then I found out that she works at her youngest son's preschool while he's there. So she's not home alone working on the house.

I tell myself other things to make myself feel better. She's only got two kids....she doesn't have a baby....she doesn't have to worry about their education....I'm with mine 24/7 so it's okay that I need a break when they go outside to play....None of these really makes me feel better though when I see them with her--the fun, perfect mom always ready to *keep my kids out of my hair.*

So yes, having a bit of a pity party today I guess. And trying to figure out what fun thing I can do that can still help me have the house in at least the same amount of disarray it was in before Jon left for work this morning--and not worse!

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! I wake up every morning thinking that today I am going to be the "fun" mom! I never seem to make it to breakfast without realizing that today, again, there is not going to be enough of me to go around! If it is any consolation, though, I think most kids do gravitate toward something different. My kids would probably weed your vegetable garden and call it fun, then turn around and give me a hard time about weeding ours. Anyway, you are not alone in your feelings, but you are a great Mama! Your kids are blessed to have you and they know it!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete